I know there are a lot of women who don’t buy nursing specific clothing and I’m not telling you to go out and buy it either. I just got frusterated with my lack of options and I ended up investing in some pieces. It has made life much easier. While some of my favorite tops are still sitting in the cloest, I have more clothing I like wearing and less to fuss with while feeding Emeline.
What can you do if you don’t want to buy nursing clothing?
1. Wear button down clothing or tops with button necklines.
2. Wear low v-neck shirts or shirts with a stretchy neck, so you can just pull down the neck when it is time to nurse.
3. Wear a tank top with a regular t-shirt over it. Then you either don’t have to buy nursing tank tops, you can invest in some or you can make your own.
4. Use cardigans or sweaters with a tie.
5. Use your regular clothing! If you are worried about showing too much while nursing in public you can use a scarf to cover up.
Advantages of using nursing clothing:
More clothing options
Easier access = quicker response time
Less chance of ruining non-nursing clothing. I’m not a fan of stretching out the necks on my favorite shirts or getting milk stains on them. To add to that, some of my normal clothing would be much too complicated to take off and put back on again every time Emeline wants to eat.
All in all, different things work for different people. The best nursing clothing is the clothing you feel the best in!